Thursday, July 2, 2009

Summer Reading, Part I

For me summer always inspires a renewed love of reading. I love going to Barnes & Noble to check out their Summer Reading tables. Most of the titles are the same each year (lots of classics), but I just can't resist touching all those stacks of books, leafing through pages, running my hands over the covers, and reading the summaries of stories I haven't yet read. I usually don't end up buying anything because I already own most of what's on display, but there's something irresistible that draws me to these books, gets me thinking about all of the worlds I could get lost in while lounging in our screen porch with something cool to drink, listening to the wind in the leaves. Today is one of those perfect summer days meant to be spent reading and dozing, sunny with a cool breeze, and if I wasn't writing this I'd be sorely tempted to spend the entire day doing just that...if Ada would let me. :) Unfortunately I just finished reading a book this morning (Atonement by Ian McEwan), and after I finish a book I like to take a little time to think and reflect before I pick up something else. I should really say before I get back to something else, since I'm usually in the middle of about 10 books at any given time. So while figuring out what I'm going to finish reading next, I've decided to put together a list of some of my top recommendations for summer reading. These are all books that I've read, loved, and would like to read again, listed in no particular order.

1. A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley
2. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
3. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
4. The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
5. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice
I liked later books in the series much better, but I recommend starting here, with the first book.
6. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
One of my all-time favorite authors; this was the first novel of hers that I read.
7. Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
8. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Thanks to Nancy and some of the B&N crew for recommending this to me; it was just what I was looking for at the time. I love going to the bookstore, telling people what you're in the mood to read, and leaving with exactly what you wanted.
9. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Picked this up at the airport last year on one of my tradeshow trips and couldn't put it down.
10. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Really anything by him would make wonderful summer reading - I did actually spend a summer reading (and re-reading) almost everything of his I could get my hands on. My absolute hands-down favorite author when I was younger.
11. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
12. This Organic Life by Joan Dye Gussow
This is an annual read for me. Love, love, LOVE this book - always come away feeling inspired.
13. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
This was one of those stay-up-all-night, can't-put-it-down reads for me.
14. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
This is the first book in The Wheel of Time series; worth it even if you don't want to read them all. Some day I WILL finish the whole series; I've attempted it three times, but just haven't set aside enough time yet. Maybe if I didn't keep starting over...

If you have any summer reading recommendations, please leave a comment as I'd love to hear about them.

Look for Summer Reading, Part II early next week, where I'll post what's on my Summer Reading List. Until then, happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Cheryl! I was also recently alerted to Newsweek's list of what to read now, and why:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/204300
    Good and different ideas on what to read there.

    In Japan I've definitely been reading more. My favorites so far have been Jeffrey Eugenides' _Middlesex_, _Memoirs of a Geisha_, and _Love Medicine_ by Louise Erdrich. I'm mixing in memoirs and such to keep things interesting. I have a copy of _Water for Elephants_ and everyone seems to love that, so I'm looking forward to reading it next.

    Also, even book-related posts have to include an Ada picture. :-)

    ReplyDelete