Thursday, May 5, 2011

Waiting...

Yup, waited until the last minute to make my list online for tomorrow's plant sale and it is taking FOREVER for each page to load on the website.

So, to make the most of loading time, I'll share some pics of what's already coming up in the garden outside.

Two nights ago my dad and brother came over to till one of the gardens that was mostly ignored last year; I try to only till when creating a new garden space, but this was the best option for reclaiming the space for this year as I'd rather get it planted and mulched instead of spending all my time clearing it by hand.


While they were busy with the tilling I took some (rather terrible) pictures of what's coming up in the other "vegetable" gardens.  It was a little too close to sunset, so I apologize that most of these are a bit blurry.

One of my mums.

Dianthus (pinks)

Green onions; whatever doesn't get picked comes back the next year.

And when I was down on hands and knees transplanting some borage seedlings from the other garden, I looked over and noticed HUNDREDS of little green onions coming up - some of the green onions above went to seed last year and voila, a whole new patch of onions magically appears.  Love that.  So excited about this since I have a terrible time getting green onions to sprout.  My absolute favorite part of spring is discovering which plants successfully reseeded themselves the previous year.  Less work for the gardener, and the plants always do well.

Some of the transplanted Borage; best to do early on before there are too many roots as Borage doesn't like being transplanted.

Lemon Balm; I didn't think this would come back, so it was a welcome discovery.

Yellow Wonder Alpine Strawberry; planted some of these last year so haven't actually had the chance to eat one yet..I can't wait!!

And another gamble; my sorrel came back.  Behind it is a type of walking onion; also newly planted last year so I'm excited to see how well they reproduce this summer...

Yarrow; this is just a small chunk of a patch that's been going strong for the last few years; starting to see little seedlings coming up everywhere so may need to do some "weeding" this year.

Beets!  Planted a few weeks back right before it started snowing again.

And peas, planted at the same time.  I didn't get any peas planted last year; can't wait to show Ada how to pick these and then eat them fresh in the garden with her.

A few of my irises; descended from a large patch my great-grandma had in front of her house, with some additional varieties mixed in from my mom.

I'll also have to get some pics of the 3(!) parsley plants that are already up and growing.

Okay, finally done with the plant list and it's off to bed so that I actually wake up when the alarm goes off at 5am tomorrow.

1 comment: